General Purpose of the Position:
The Sous Chef will supervise and administer all phases of the kitchen operation with an outgoing and engaging personality while teaching and coaching staff for our Grille Room and Veranda restaurants - during November thru May (50+ hours), and June thru October (40 hours). The Sous Chef will direct the activities of the kitchen staff ensuring productivity, cleanliness and sanitation, and the implementation of all policies and procedures. The Sous Chef is accountable for ongoing menu evaluation and development. They ensure that budgeted cost for food are maintained and makes recommendations on how to improve financial performance. The Sous Chefs sets the example of all standards, whether it is cleanliness, organization, or food quality. They are responsible for the speed and accuracy of the team. The Sous Chef must be able to work effectively with limited supervision and demonstrate leadership in order to motivate others.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Ensure that there is adequate coverage at all times in the kitchen and will further ensure that all recipe and plating procedures are followed out in accordance to specifications.
· The cleanliness of the kitchen will be a top priority of the Sous Chefs and the will ensure that all checklists and cleansing schedules are followed.
· Will prepare and follow a daily prep sheet to indicate levels on hand and amounts required.
· Making sure the kitchen is a safe and hygienic place to work.
· Organizing the inventory, storage, and distribution of foodstuffs and supplies.
· Supervises and coordinates activities of food preparation, kitchen, pantry, and storeroom personnel and purchases or requisitions foodstuffs and supplies.
· Supervises non-cooking personnel, such as the Kitchen Steward, to ensure cleanliness of the kitchen and equipment.
· Effectively manage staff to ensure productivity and assign and instruct kitchen staff in details of work to verify that all quality standards and proper cooking techniques are followed.
· Evaluate kitchen performance and provide regular coaching and feedback.
· Inspect all equipment and food storage areas for sanitation, food quality, proper rotation and storage.
· Performs other appropriate tasks assigned by the Executive Chef.
Skills and Abilities Required:
Must be familiar with and have worked with all kitchen equipment.
Awareness of occupational hazards and safety precautions; skilled in following safety practices & recognizing hazards.
Knowledge of food handling and preparation principles and procedures for all foods produced & served in the club.
Ability to multitask and to pay close attention to details.
Organizational skills to prioritize daily tasks.
Knowledge of and ability to perform required role during emergency situations.
Licenses and Special Requirements:
· Food safety certification.
· Certification from American Culinary Federation or other hospitality association.
• Minimum five years of experience in a restaurant, a multi-faceted country club or hotel, or similarly related establishment.
· Required to stand for long periods and walk, climb stairs, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, bend, stretch and twist or reach.
· Push, pull or lift up to 50 pounds.
· Continuous repetitive motions.
· Work in hot, humid and noisy environment.
Salary and Benefits:
A competitive compensation and benefit package will be offered to include Health, Dental, Vision, and 401(k). Salary is in the range of $50,000 - $55,000. (commensurate with qualifications and experience).